Follow the Mome Raths

Thoughts of a Canadian University Student

Saturday, January 22, 2005

Here's what has happened to me on the MWF I've missed.

Monday Jan 17: I'd started the doll (see below) over the weekend, but I needed to get elastic to finish her clothes, and stuffing for her. I was going to go to the mall or Wal-Mart after class, but since it was very, very cold (-35C, unknown windchill) I decided against it.

Wednesday Jan 19: I went to school very early so I could get some errands done. I went to academic advising, where I found out that I'd get my degree a year earlier if I did it in English, not Geology. So that's what I'm doing. I also got to check my e-mail for the first time in almost a week, and I did't have a geophysics class so I tried to do some Igenous lab. No go, due to no concentration. I headed over to Arts (I keep wanting to call it Education, because the Faculty of Music at U of A was in the Education building) and played piano for awhile, and had my voice lesson with Tellie, the world's nicest and best voice teacher or professor. I love Tellie. She makes my Wednesdays worthwhile. I also soared through my exercises with her, so that helped. Arriving home I found out that I'd missed getting my computer from Purloator by 5 minutes that morning, so I had to wait until the next day. Also, on Tuesday I went to the mall and basically finished up my doll, and got a couple of sweaters cheap-cheap at American Eagle.

Friday Jan 21: Well, I got my computer from Purolator Thursday morning. It still did the stupid "won't turn on, until 20 minutes after first time power button was pushed", but I finally got it back on. Then, no more than 20 minutes into using it, it had catastrophic failure. I'm talking Titanic sinking. I'm talking Mt. Vesuvius eliminating Pompeii. It just died. So I called tech support, spent 40 minutes on the phone with a very nice tech guy who helped me systematically remove and replace every part, and when nothing worked we found it was the motherboard. So I have to send it back to Dell. Again. (PS Dell, if you need summer help, I can now remove, replace, and repair every component on your Inspiron Notebook Series. Call me.).

So how am I typing now you say? Well, my Grandparents came up this weekend and brought up my old computer with them. So I will have a computer until Dell sends me back my new one again (which, at this point, will have no original components barring the LCD screen and hard drive).

Karlie@8:20 p.m.


listening

Weezer

George and Ira Gershwin

JS Bach

Mozart

Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Antonio Vivaldi

Handel

Charlotte Church

Oldies

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Reading

The DaVinci Code

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings

The Princess Diaries

The Bonesetter's Daughter

FoxTrot

Calvin and Hobbes

His Dark Materials

Invitation to the Game

Guests of War Trilogy