Follow the Mome Raths

Thoughts of a Canadian University Student

Monday, August 16, 2004

So it did turn out to be appendicitis, so my rock-solid excuse for not updating for a few weeks was that I was a) in the hospital b) in surgery c) recuperating from said surgery in Okotoks at my Aunt Jean's with my parents. When my parents found out I was having surgery, right before we had to move out of SAIT, they decided to drive up to help us move everything over to Janice's. I'm glad they did, since I'm in no shape to move everything, plus I'm not allowed to lift over 10 lbs for 2 weeks. I also can't go back to work for 2 weeks, how lovely. I'm still hoping to go to Edmonton for this weekend though, and say my goodbyes to people. Therefore, Edmonton friends, you know who you are, don't go anywhere this weekend, kapiche?

I'm scared about moving to Lakehead, kind of. I'm worried that I'm not going to make new friends, and I'm going to spend my evenings alone/at dance and choir. I guess it's because at U of A I made friends from res, and they're pretty much the friends that I actually hung out with/did things with on a regular basis. I had friends in choir and stuff too, but I didn't usually do things outside choir/etc. with them. Now, the choir isn't a school choir but for the TBSO (Thunder Bay Symphony Orchestra), so if I get in I don't know how old the people will be or anything.

Dad's doing somewhat better I think, since they upgraded his prognosis to Relapsing-Remitting, which they can treat with drugs. He's still slower and much weaker though. We have to have Uncle Dimitri help us move in in Thunder Bay, because there's stuff Dad can't lift anymore. I'm glad to be closer to home, but I know that I want to go to Grad School, peferrably in Europe, and now I feel like I shouldn't do that anymore. But I've always wanted to! And now I feel selfish looking into all these schools. Did you know that I can do a Geology Masters or PhD at Oxford or Cambridge? How cool would that be?

Karlie@12:37 p.m.


listening

Weezer

George and Ira Gershwin

JS Bach

Mozart

Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Antonio Vivaldi

Handel

Charlotte Church

Oldies

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Reading

The DaVinci Code

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings

The Princess Diaries

The Bonesetter's Daughter

FoxTrot

Calvin and Hobbes

His Dark Materials

Invitation to the Game

Guests of War Trilogy