Follow the Mome Raths

Thoughts of a Canadian University Student

Tuesday, March 09, 2004

It's been a long time since my last post, but I think this deserves it. *from the CBC website, www.cbc.ca under local news and Edmonton.

Web Posted Mar 9 2004 04:21 PM MST

Student stabbed in U of A library



"Edmonton - Police are looking for three men after a 19-year-old student was stabbed in a University of Alberta library Tuesday afternoon.

The man was in a carrel on the second floor of the Cameron library around noon when he was stabbed in the torso, police say.
He then ran to a health centre in another building for help.

Campus police said there was a lot of blood on the second floor and the stairs.

The man is being treated at University Hospital and his condition hasn't been released.

Police say they hadn't been able to interview the man by mid-afternoon and weren't sure when he'd be medically fit to talk to investigators. A description of the assailants also hadn't been released.

Based on witness statements, polic believe the student was targeted and that the attack wasn't random. Police say it hasn't been linked to gang activity."

I was walking out of SUB when the victim ran by me. He was wearing a (previously) white t-shirt with what looked like black writing on it, jeans, and scuffed white trainers. He was tallish and thinnish, with dark skin and looked like he may have been of East Indian descent, with dark hair. I have a vague impression that it might have been curly but I'm not sure. He was covered, absolutely covered in blood. It was running down his face from what I thought was a wound on his right temple, and was tightly gripping his left wrist which looked as thought it had a pumping wound. A large blood trail was left behind him, through to CAB, past Pita Pit and Tim Horton's, into the pedway and Cameron. He went by me at between 12:00 and 12:05, as I had looked at my watch directly before leaving from SUB. When I got to Cameron Library no one had even figured out what had happened yet, they were still standing around looking shocked. I dropped off some books to be returned, and went to go to my class in Tory. I found a girl from my class there, and started talking to her. It was horrifying to see, I felt sick and dizzy thinking about it. Needless to say I didn't go to class, but went to calm down in PS Warren and did some homework.

I'm not going to dance tonight either, that'll have to wait.
Karlie@6:37 p.m.


listening

Weezer

George and Ira Gershwin

JS Bach

Mozart

Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Antonio Vivaldi

Handel

Charlotte Church

Oldies

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Reading

The DaVinci Code

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings

The Princess Diaries

The Bonesetter's Daughter

FoxTrot

Calvin and Hobbes

His Dark Materials

Invitation to the Game

Guests of War Trilogy