Follow the Mome Raths

Thoughts of a Canadian University Student

Wednesday, November 12, 2003

Lest We Forget


Today was the first Remembrance Day in a few years when I was up for the ceremonies. I had felt bad about sleeping through the others, and so this year Kayla and I watched (very very fuzzy) Global which was showing the unveiling of the Juno Beach memorial. I realized, truly how much I owe to those men. They left home in order to give us today. 43,000 of them never came back from WWII.

In Flanders Field, the poppies blow
between the crosses row on row,
that mark our place, and in the sky
the lark still bravely singing flies.
In Flanders Field.

We are the dead, short days ago we lived.
Felt dawn, saw sunset glow.
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
in Flanders Field.

Take up our quarrel with the foe.
To you from failing hands we throw the torch.
Be yours, to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die,
we shall not sleep, though poppies grow
in Flanders Field.

-John McCrae

In a little lighter tone I made paper snowflakes today. I found a site online that showed how to fold the paper so as to get six-pointed shapes like real snowflakes are. Now they are hung on thread in the corner, and the dance a little in the circulation from my heater. I made my Grandmothers' Christmas presents. So that's two less! Two more to buy, and one to finish.
Karlie@12:12 a.m.


listening

Weezer

George and Ira Gershwin

JS Bach

Mozart

Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky

Antonio Vivaldi

Handel

Charlotte Church

Oldies

Andrew Lloyd Webber

Reading

The DaVinci Code

Harry Potter

The Lord of the Rings

The Princess Diaries

The Bonesetter's Daughter

FoxTrot

Calvin and Hobbes

His Dark Materials

Invitation to the Game

Guests of War Trilogy